It's that time of year when school awards nights are in full swing, celebrating academic and sporting prowess.
But are awards nights actually helpful? And how can you help your child cope with the disappointment of missing out on recognition?
Some of the things discussed in this episode:
- Awards by their nature are exclusive, so they can be a punishment for the majority.
- Relationships between kids, parents and teachers being damaged.
- Rewards and awards are ignoring reasons.
- Is it OK to acknowledge excellence?
- Should parents care more about grades or character?
- Teaching your kids to sit with disappointment.
- Reminding kids that everyone has different talents, and schools recognise only a few of those talents.
- Status and recognition.
Check out the Happy Families Mega Sale | Black Friday to Cyber Monday
Find us on Facebook at Dr Justin Coulson's Happy Families
Email us your questions and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org