Educational successes and failures, high school dropouts, the pressure of HSC exams, and finding your passion in life... these are BIG and pressing issues for our graduating kids! Learn how to have conversations with your children about educational outcomes and choices, and what being successful in school (and in life) looks like to them.
Today we're talking with Ian Steel, who despite being a high school dropout, has gone on to run a string of successful businesses, and is the founder of the South Australian charity Kickstart for Kids.
Topics in this episode:
- Why school can be so hard
- ADHD, dyslexia
- How the school experience differs for girls vs boys
- Research report: Understanding the non-completion of apprentices (ncver.edu.au)
- The importance of education
- School, trade/apprenticeship, or paid employment?
- Kickstart for Kids - supporting at-risk children
- Breaking the cycle of unemployment and poverty
- Relationship between hunger and classroom behaviours
- Do exams matter?
- The teenage brain - a Happy Families article
- How to Help when School Sucks - a Happy Families article
Last day to register for the 'Supporting Autistic Children: Nurturing Neurodiversity' course hosted by Dr Justin Coulson & Dr Joey Lawrence
Find us on Facebook at Dr Justin Coulson's Happy Families
Email us your questions and comments at email@example.com