For episode 14 of the Happy Families podcast we’re looking into discipline. What is it? How is it working for you? What makes for the best kind of discipline? We’ll investigate the 7 reasons punishments don’t work, and take a close look at what great discipline is all about.
A new segment starts in this episode: 60 second psychology. Today’s research article looks at the impact of parenting style on teenagers decisions around prosocial behaviour, friendship choices, alcohol and other drug use, and academic efforts… and the results may surprise you.
And in my 3-minute therapy session a mum asks how to stop the cycle of abuse in her home. It’s an important and challenging question.
- 1:43 60 second psychology
- 3:55 Punishment as discipline
- 4:22 YOUR SAY: What do you think of when you hear the word, discipline?
- 5:29 YOUR SAY: What kinds of discipline do most parents rely on?
- 6:58 The really unusual response
- 7:18 What is punishment?
- 7:28 What is discipline?
- 7:58 7 reasons punishment is bad for our kids
- 11:58 YOUR SAY: How long does punishment work for?
- 12:58 YOUR SAY: How does your family feel when you use punishment?
- 14:00 What to do for discipline
- 18:40 Three minute therapy – stopping the cycle of abuse
Join the conversation
Every week I'll be asking a couple of questions.