Welcome to this first episode of the Happy Families Podcast. In this episode, I’ll be chatting about habits around our routine that can make our family stronger and happier.
Strong, happy families don’t happen by accident. We don’t wake up, do whatever we feel like, and magically have a family that functions just fine. Happy and strong families are the product of consistent, proactive efforts on the part of parents who make family a priority.
In this podcast I’ll share 7 habits that happy families practice to strengthen their relationships and make their families function well.
So what are the habits I recommend to make your family happier?
- Create a family focus. A shared vision makes decision making easy, and guides action.
- Have a parent retreat. Strong families are headed by strong couples who make time for one another.
- Take regular, simple, cheap time out as a family. Family holidays are achievable for most families with one person who qualifies for annual leave. And they can rejuvenate a family.
- Family dinner matters. Have a family dinner as often as possible.
- Device down-time. We need to disconnect so we can re-connect.
- Make weekends sacred. At least some of the time.
- Interview the kids. It’s amazing what we learn about their lives – and our families – when we really listen to our children.
And a bonus idea – family night once a week can make a big impact on the way your family interacts.
This week’s parenting hack
For great ways to know what movies and media are ok for kids, check out the following two sites:
Join the conversation
Every week I'll be asking a couple of questions.